Tuesday 7 April 2009

To the Desert


I slept badly last night. I had a brick for a pillow, a tiny cot for a bed, a lopsided futon for a mattress and a single smelly blanket for warmth. The shower was a unique multi function device, you could shower and go to the toilet in it...t the same time if that is your thing. Still the place itself had some charm, was located in Morocco's version of the Grand Canyon and the food was very good. For £20 dinner bed & breakfast, you cannot complain too much. Next time though, I will sit on the bed and smell the blanket before I commit.



We headed south along the Ziz valley with its miles of Palmeries to the sand dunes at Erg Chebbi. At Erfoud, we decided to take the piste to Merzouga rather than the road so had to ford the river. Some friendly spaniards came past on motocross bikes and offered advice on the line to take as there were two big holes to negotiate under the water. They waited on the other side to see what would happen. Some of the locals took an interest too but we disappointed all and stayed very much dry.


The road gave way to sand and rock. I have to say I felt a whole lot more confident this time round on this terrain than last December. When the sand grabbed the front wheel, I had the bottle to open the throttle and let it straighten up. Despite the weight of the bike, it handled well.


After 20 miles of piste, I was feeling the heat. It was 30c and the wind was blowing. The sand was starting to fly but visibility was not a problem. A dust devil almost took me off, whipping me first left then right as it passed. Ass puckering stuff...Stopped tonight in the same hilltop Kasbah I stayed in last time. Noticed there that I picked up my first puncture of the trip, a nice straight 2 inch nail God knows how that got in.

Distance 161km

View Ziz-Merzouga 07042009 in a larger map

No comments: